Brookings Doha Center (BDC), an initiative of the Brookings Institution which specializes in advancing high-quality, independent policy analysis and research on the Middle East is hiring to fill the position of a Director of Research And Fellow. Job location is Qatar
Managing the Research Agenda/Fellows/Publications (50%)
- Develop a comprehensive research strategy for the center; assess current research plans and devise new research areas
- Supervise the editorial process of research-related publications, including analysis papers and policy briefs; ensure that research and outreach achieve highest level of quality and professionalism
- Take an active role in conceptualizing and organizing BDC policy meetings, workshops, roundtables, and public events
- Manage the BDC’s Visiting Fellow program; recruit new Visiting Fellows and outside researchers
- Identify scholars for commissioned research papers on relevant topics
- Develop and maintain a database of scholars that responds to the center’s thematic areas
Research, Writing, and Outreach (35%)
- Undertake original policy relevant research and writing
- Produce policy relevant research, including analysis papers, policy briefings, op-eds, as well as book projects
- Provide media commentary and expertise
Additional Management Duties (15%)
- Recruit, supervise, and mentor staff; oversee the BDC’s research internship program
- Maintain working relations with relevant organizations inside and outside of Qatar
- Maintain clear and effective communication with the Brookings Washington, DC office
- Other tasks as determined by the Director
Master’s degree in political science, economics, or a related field required; Ph.D. strongly preferred. Must have a proven record of writing and publishing policy-oriented research on the contemporary Middle East. The successful candidate should have program management experience, including a record of overseeing scholarly research.
Ability to undertake research projects; manage staff and visiting scholars involved in projects; produce journal articles and book-length monographs; and lead issue-focused meetings, workshops, and other events. The Fellow must have the capacity to conduct outreach to the public, academia, and the policy community to ensure the impact of BDC research programming. Complete written and spoken fluency in English and advanced proficiency in Arabic is required.
Strong research record. Organizational, administrative, communication, and managerial skills, with a high level of professionalism. Must be flexible, diplomatic, trustworthy, a good team player, and able to work in a fast-paced environment and undertake projects with little supervision.
Interested and qualified candidates are to visit the online application portal to apply for this job.
For more information, visit the official page.