The International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), an inter-governmental organisation mandated with the widespread and increased adoption and sustainable use of all forms of renewable energy is currently looking Procurement Officer, P-3. Job location is Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Under the overall guidance of the Director of Administration and Management Services, and the immediate supervision of the Chief Procurement Officer (CPO), the Procurement Officer will support IRENA’s on-going demand in various procurement activities and will perform the following duties:
- Provides the highest standards of procurement services and advice to all divisions at IRENA in accordance with the established rules, regulations and processes;
- Ensures the integrity and transparency of the procurement process and compliance with IRENA’s Financial Regulations and Rules and relevant internal policies;
- Implements proper procurement planning every year in coordination with divisions in order to ensure cost-effective solicitation of goods and services;
- Conducts market research and financial analysis for various requirements related to the program implementation, develops database of vendors, retrieves and presents information from a variety of internal and external sources on sources of supply, vendors by commodity, as well as obtains specifications for new services, products and equipment from the market;
- Identifies and fully understands the details and conditions of the best procurement methods to be used for maximised competitive bidding process through prequalification exercise, i.e. Call for Expression of Interest (EoI) or Request for Information (RFI). Launch of Request for Quotations (RFQ), Requests for Proposals (RFP) and Invitation to Bid (ITB) inviting vendors to submit their quotations/prices or proposals based on the nature of the requirements and cost of procurement involved;
- Reviews specifications, Scope of Work (SOW) or Terms of Reference (TOR) and validates the various evaluation criteria of purchase requisitions. Records, validates and prioritizes purchasing requests and obtains additional information/documentation as required;
- Ensures with requesting divisions the availability of funding sources based on IRENA’s Financial Regulations and Rules to award contract(s) to the selected suppliers who are able to meet the specifications and offer the best terms;
- Prepares evaluation reports, abstracts or financial comparison matrix of offers, compiles data contained in quotations, proposals and bids to determine which supplier can deliver the required goods/services at the best terms and lowest costs possible with due consideration to cost, quality, delivery time, payments terms and others;
- Ensures preparation and review for completeness of various cases for submissions to IRENA’s Contracts Review Committee (CRC);
- Understands the conditions and legal terms of agreements and purchase orders. Formulates contracts for professional services, Long Term Agreements, amendments in coordination with the legal department at IRENA;
- Submits for approvals agreements and contracts in line with the delegation of authority;
- Provides clarifications and advice on IRENA’s procurement procedures and practices; Responds to queries about the status of delivery raised by requisitioner and about payment and other matters raised by the suppliers; performs a wide range of office support, for events and workshops contributing to the efficient and effective management of the Procurement Office;
- Maintains relevant internal databases and files; keeps track of contractual agreements and purchase orders;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Knowledge of internationally recognized procurement standards and of all phases of international procurement techniques and operations used in contracting for a diverse range of goods and services. Knowledge of contract law and expertise in handling complex contract issues. Knowledge of quantitative methods to measure supplier capacity systems and ability to identify sources of supply, market trends and pricing. Ability to shape and influence agreements with requisitioning units and vendors. Ability to apply technical expertise to resolve a range of issues/problems. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges remains calm in stressful situations. Understanding of legal terminology is key;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Accountability: Takes ownership for all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes ownership of delegated responsibilities and authorities; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules;
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions or advice; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress of the procurement process or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in procurement, business administration, commerce, public administration, law or any related field. A first-level university degree in combination with at least two additional years of directly relevant qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. CIPS certification is an advantage.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in procurement and contracts management at national and international level. Familiarity with the procurement rules, policies and processes of the United Nations common system and/or international organisations as well as international market environment and private sector business practices.
Excellent command of written and spoken English is required.
Interested and qualified candidates are to visit the online application portal to apply for this job.
Application closes October 17th, 2016.
For more information, visit the official page.