Submissions are currently being accepted for the 5th Edition of the Uganda Press Photo Award annual photo contest.
- The Ugandan Press Photo Award will accept published and unpublished photographs.
- The contest is restricted to Ugandan citizens, 18 years of age or older.
- All entries must have been taken between September 1st 2015 and September 1st 2016, and must be submitted by September 1st 2016. This will be confirmed via EXIF data.
- Each entrant can submit up to 3 single images for 3 different categories and up to 2 stories. For each story a minimum of 4, and a maximum of 10 photographs should be submitted.
- Entry is free.
- In each category, the jury will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd photograph(s). Prizes will be awarded for each place.
- One photograph will be selected as the Uganda Press Photo of the year and the author of that photograph will receive the main prize.
- The jury reserves the right not to award any or all prizes. All decisions by the jury will be final.
- By entering the competition the photographer confirms that they own the rights to all the images they enter into this competition, or if they are an employee of a media organization they have all necessary permissions from their organization, and grant the competition organisers permission to reproduce any submitted images for the purposes of promoting this competition, including but not limited to website, posters and catalogue.
- Winning entries will be printed and will form part of an exhibition.
- Members of Foreign Correspondents’ Association of Uganda (FCAU), the judging panel and any family members cannot enter the contest.
- FCAU, Friedrich-Ebert-Fundation (FES) and the judging panel will not enter into dialogue with entrants.
- With the submission the photographer agrees to the Terms and Conditions.
- Only photographs in digital form will be accepted. There should be no watermarks, identifying marks or names of authors written on the photographs.
- Each photograph has to be saved as highest quality jpg, at 300 dpi, minimum 3000 pixels on the longer side.
- Photos that have been digitally altered beyond standard optimization will not be accepted. Only minimal adjustments are allowed. The organizers reserve the right to ask for unedited images.
- All photographs should include a caption (short description of who, what, where, when, why. Not more than 50 words per photograph. Include when and where the photograph was first published.) in the EXIF data/metadata.
Submissions are accepted in these Seven (7) categories:
- Creative: Images depicting an artistic approach to photography.
- Daily Life: Photographs that document the extraordinary in ordinary or throw a new perspective on everyday life.
- Nature: Photographs of the natural world, including landscape, environmental photography and wildlife.
- News: Images covering news topics and current affairs.
- Portraits: Images that show a person’s likeness, personality and character in their environment.
- Sports: Images of everything sports-related: sporting events, sports stars or even a village football match.
- Story: 4 to 10 images. Any of the above categories may be used as a theme for a story entry, but images submitted should show a clear narrative that is improved, not diluted by the inclusion of multiple images.
If you are interested and qualified, proceed HERE to submit your image.
Deadline is 1st September 2016, 12:00 am (midnight) EAT.
For more information, visit the official page.