The United Nations University Institute on Computing and Society (UNU-CS), a new research institute in china established by the United Nations University is seeking the services of an Assistant Director.
• In partnership with the Director, provide strategic leadership and guidance to the evolution of the UNU-CS programme.
• Provide strategic advice and policy recommendations to the Director on emerging research trends and policies in the area of ICT for development.
• Manage and oversee the policy-relevant research and capacity building activities of one of the UNU-CS research laboratories.
• In partnership with the Director, build and maintain relationships with selected country governments in the context of policy-relevant research programmes.
• Develop strategic partnerships with UN agencies, international donors, academic institutions, and civil society organisations.
• Drive fundraising efforts for continuing and new initiatives of the Institute.
• Conduct research relevant to the work of UNU-CS at an international level.
• Communicate research and project accomplishments at scientific meetings and international fora, and through publications.
• Coordinate multidisciplinary research teams and mentor team members to ensure effective delivery of the analytical work programme and motivation in the team.
• Supervise a limited number of Fellows and Research Assistants.
• Represent the Director at strategic meetings.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the Director.
Required qualifications and experience
• PhD in a computing or social scientific field related to the work of UNU-CS.
• At least seven (7) years of post-PhD work experience related to the nexus of computing and development.
• Strong background in applied research and international policy and capacity development.
• Proven track record of significant fundraising for international projects.
• A prominent profile in the relevant academic community.
• Senior management experience in an academic/research institution;
• Proven track record of high-quality academic and policy publications.
• Excellent communications and drafting skills, with fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other official UN languages would be an asset.
• Excellent team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
We offer a competitive net salary (tax-exempted) at P-5 level and allowances including post adjustment. Post adjustment is subject to change.
The post also post carries the standard set of United Nations benefits and entitlements for international positions in the UN Common Systems, including participation in the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund, the possibility of participation in a health insurance programme, education grant, removal expenses and home leave.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit their applications via e-mail in the form of an Adobe Acrobat PDF file to email@example.com. Applications must include the following:
- a separate cover letter setting out how the qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a curriculum vitae
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) form; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organisations
- an indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement 2016/UNU/CS/FTA/AD/54
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Application Deadline is 1st September, 2016.
For more information, visit the official page.