UN Women, an organisation that works to eliminate the discrimination against women and girls; seeks the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security is in need of a Programme Specialist in the area of Ending Violence Against Women.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Design and develop the programme in the area of Ending Violence Against Women in the Europe and Central Asia region
- Translate the priorities of the Strategic Note into programme interventions;
- Design and formulate programme/ project proposals and initiatives;
- Draft inputs to country strategy documents, briefs, policy dialogue and other documents related to EVAW;
- Identify areas for support and interventions within the area of EVAW.
Oversee the implementation and management of the EVAW programme
- Provide programme advisory support to the Office Management, as necessary;
- Finalize the annual work plan and budget and oversee implementation;
- Finalize reports on activities, outputs and outcomes; and provide technical inputs to donor and UN Women reports;
- Ensure adherence to standard UN Women procedures in planning and implementation of programmes/ projects;
- Ensure synergies within and with other programme/ project teams;
- Oversee the technical implementation and conceptualization of the programme/project;
- Manage the submission of partner financial and narrative reports;
- Provide guidance to staff and partners on Results Based Management tools and performance indicators;
- Organize Project Steering Committee, project review and/or evaluation meetings, as needed.
Oversee technical assistance and capacity development to EVAW project/programme partners
- Build and manage relationships with national partners to support implementation and expansion of the EVAW programme; respond to any potential problems;
- Identify capacity building needs of stakeholders;
- Lead the coordination of technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives to partners.
Oversee the implementation of the EVAW programme/ project activities through monitoring and reporting
- Oversee the monitoring of implementation of activities and finances using the results based management tools;
- Oversee field missions and review reports on monitoring missions;
- Write quarterly reports and donor reports.
Manage people and financial resources of the EVAW programme
- Manage programme budget;
- Draft financial reports;
- Supervise staff and Technical Specialists;
- Write terms of reference for new staff, consultants and contractors and oversee the recruitment process, as necessary;
- Mentor and coach programme staff and do performance assessments.
Build partnerships and support in developing resource mobilization strategies
- Develop and implement partnerships and resource mobilization strategies;
- Finalize relevant documentation on donors and potential opportunities for resource mobilization;
- Analyze and research information on donors, prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost sharing;
- Determine programmatic areas of cooperation, based on strategic goals of UN Women, country needs and donors’ priorities and develop the relevant partnerships.
Contribute to inter-agency coordination to achieve a coherent and aligned presence for EVAW
- Provide technical support to the Regional Deputy Director on inter-agency coordination related activities by attending meetings, events, and participating in groups and committees as needed;
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government departments, donors and NGOs to ensure the projects’ capacity development programme is harmonized and aligned with other in-country efforts;
- Take part in country level Comprehensive Country Assessment (CCA)/UNDAF processes and similar exercises related to the RC system ensuring that gender concerns are clearly reflected and mainstreamed in process;
- Prepare inputs to CCA/ UNDAF and other documents;
- Write analytical and progress reports on UN Women’s programme experiences in support of UN Women inter-agency coordination role.
Lead advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts for EVAW programme
- Participate in meetings and policy dialogues on issues related to EVAW on behalf of UN Women, as necessary;
- Develop advocacy strategies and oversee their implementation;
- Develop knowledge management strategies, products and methodologies on EVAW;
- Manage the identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned and contribute to their global dissemination.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social sciences, human rights, gender/women’s studies, international development, or a related field.
- Minimum 5 years relevant work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development projects;
- Minimum 3 years of which technical experience in EVAW;
- Experience in establishing relationships among international organization and national governments in the field of gender and human rights of women, specifically in the areas of EVAW;
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset;
- Experience in leading a team is an asset;
- Experience in Western Balkan countries and Turkey is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is an asset.
Interested and qualified candidates are to visit this LINK to apply.
Application deadline is 22nd July, 2016.
For more information visit the official page.