The August round applications are on for the Sir Henry Dale Fellowship scheme for outstanding post-doctoral scientists wishing to build their own UK-based, independent research career. The research ranging from the molecules and cells vital to life and their role in the global spread of disease, to clinical and public health research seeking to improve the quality of healthcare. It can be based in the laboratory, clinic or field, and may involve experimental or theoretical approaches.
- a basic salary for the Fellow, as determined by the host organisation; an additional Wellcome Trust enhancement of £7,500 per annum will also be provided
- research expenses, including research assistance if required (normally a graduate research assistant or technician; requests for additional research staff may be considered where fieldwork or clinical studies in a low- or middle-income country are proposed)
- travel and subsistence for collaborative travel or scientifically justified overseas visits of normally up to one year
- overseas allowances, where appropriate, for applicants working in low- or middle-income countries for 12 months or more
- a UK/EEA national OR
- a non-EEA national who either has a relevant degree from a UK university, or has worked in the UK for at least a continuous three-year period OR
- an exceptional biomedical scientist, who does not fall within the categories above, whose recruitment to the host organisation would be advantageous to both the applicant and the organisation.
In addition, you are expected to have relevant scientific or mathematical qualifications and, at the final decision point (i.e. at interview), be no more than seven years from the date of your PhD viva.
The application is in two stages; preliminary application stage and full application stage.
The preliminary application form must be completed sent electronically (as a Word document), with the requested accompanying information, to email@example.com. This will take within four weeks to be accessed.
Those that are successful at the preliminary stage will be advised to submit a full application via the Wellcome Trust’s eGrants online application system.
- Preliminary application deadline: 17 August 2016
- Full application deadline: 24 October 2016
- Shortlisted candidate interviews: 22–24 February 2017
For more information visit the official page.