The National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) is currently seeking a Resident Director to join its team in Algeria.
- Manage, implement, and provide overall leadership and vision for NDI’s Algeria programs with the support of resident international and national staff, short-term consultants and trainers, and in coordination with NDI staff in Washington, DC, with a particular day-to-day emphasis on managing activities to enhance the capacities of political parties, elected women leaders and civil society organizations;
- Build and maintain collaborative working relationships with and serve as a resource for political party representatives, elected officials, women political leaders, civil society activists and other relevant political actors;
- Design and conduct training workshops and one-on-one consultations with targeted program beneficiaries, as needed;
- Serve as principal liaison between NDI and international donor representatives in-country, Algerian and US government officials, the diplomatic community and media as needed;
- Adapt programmatic activities based on the dynamics of political developments and in response to needs articulated by local partners and program beneficiaries;
- Oversee and mentor NDI national staff and additional expatriate staff to effectively implement programs for long-term sustainability;
- Ensure the drafting and timely submission to Washington of program activity reports, monthly field reports, and monitoring and evaluation data, and provide periodic updates on relevant political developments;
- Develop and/or maintain financial management systems;
- Ensure adherence to NDI-DC and Algerian legal, financial and human resource policies and procedures, as well as adherence to donor regulations, ensuring the integrity of all financial transactions; and
- Provide oversight and review of activity budgets and monthly financial reconciliation to Washington.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in International Relations, Political Science, Public Administration, or related subject; graduate degree preferred;
- Minimum fourteen (14) years substantive professional experience primarily in a political field, with experience working to expand women’s political participation, enhance political party outreach capacity, and/or bolster civil society involvement in political processes preferred;
- Experience in program management, with experience implementing US government-funded programs preferred;
- Proven capacity to meet program goals while managing financial, administrative, and security responsibilities;
- Proven ability to effectively communicate skills and experiences to others as a trainer and/or adviser;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and apply sophisticated political analysis to programmatic activities;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior political and civic leaders as well as members of the donor and diplomatic community;
- Demonstrated experience in proactively navigating and ensuring compliance with host country legal and reporting requirements;
- Excellent managerial, interpersonal, and networking skills, as well as the ability to establish and maintain professional political relationships;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated leadership capacity and ability to work as a member of a team;
- Oral and written English skills required; Fluency in French or Arabic strongly preferred;
- Experience living and working overseas desired, especially in challenging political environments; and
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) strongly desired.
Interested and qualified candidates are to visit the online application portal for this job to apply.
For more information, visit the official page.