The Urban Institute, a non profit organisation is currently in need of a blog editor who has strong editorial and organizational skills to join its team at Washington DC. The position is part assignment editor, part content strategist, and part project manager.
- Manage the Urban Wire editorial process and calendar
- Provide big-picture editorial guidance and oversight for all blog content, ensuring every post is appropriate for the medium and grounded in evidence
- Coordinate with editors to ensure each post is strong, concise, and error-free
- Coordinate with visuals staff on images and data visualization development
- Build relationships with research staff
- Monitor the news cycle—and find ways to take advantage of it
- Communicate regularly with media and government affairs staff to help content reach the right audiences
- Identify opportunities for more creative storytelling through interactives, interviews, multimedia, etc.
- Train researchers and other staff on blogging best practices
- Manage and cultivate content-sharing agreements with outside media sources
- Post content to the site via Drupal
- Occasionally report on Urban events, research, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, social sciences, or a related field
- 2 years of experience in a media or communications environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of blogging best practices—from structure to tone to headlines
- Ability to translate technical work into more accessible language while maintaining accuracy
- Excellent organization skills and the capacity to juggle multiple projects with multiple pieces and players
- Ability to move quickly and adapt to changing deadlines
- Experience working on a variety of topics and with a variety of personalities
- Creativity and persistence: ability to see an idea through from pitch to publication
- Proficiency with Drupal and/or programming languages is a plus
Interested and qualified candidates are to visit the online application portal to apply.
For more information, visit the official page.